Ingredients

Why Your Dog Deserves Real Meat, Not Low-Quality Fillers

Dog with Huntaway in a bush.

Do you know how to spot a low quality dog food ingredient, and understand the impact they can have on your dog’s health?

As a dog owner, you want nothing but the best for your pup – including the food they consume. Yet, lurking within the pet food industry are hidden, low quality fillers that can compromise the well-being of our furry companions. Huntaway doesn’t believe in adding ingredients with low nutritional value to your dog food. These cheap ingredients have no place in your dogs bowl.

Molly with Huntaway Raw Dog Food.

Dog food fillers are low quality ingredients that offer little or no nutritional benefit to your dog.

Processed Grains & Legumes

Fillers can include highly processed grains and legumes like corn, barley, soy, peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and chickpeas. When these ingredients make up the highest percentage of your dog food recipe, the ratio of carbohydrates to protein is skewed, which can result in fewer usable nutrients for your dog, not to mention itchiness, inflammation, and larger, smellier poops.

Animal Meal

Animal meal is a filler we avoid at Huntaway. Animal meals are rendered animal byproducts cooked and dried to recover separate components of protein and fat. They are stable, low-cost ingredients but offer significantly less nutrition than raw meat and organs.

Huntaway Raw Dog Food in Bowl.

Take the time to study the label and ingredients list next time you’re looking for a suitable food for your dog.

What to Choose Instead?

Dogs thrive on a high protein diet, so sourcing a quality raw dog food like Huntaway can be a great choice.

Our wild venison raw recipe contains 85% raw venison - a high quality, bioavailable protein - which means your dog can use it for energy, growth, and recovery. The other 15% of our recipe contains a wholesome mixture of fruits, vegetables, vitamins and minerals that support your dog’s wellbeing.

We understand that raw food is more expensive than kibble, so whether you feed exclusively raw, blend 50:50 with dry foods, or add raw as a topper, including any amount of fresh, nutritionally dense foods to your dog’s bowl will help support their longevity and quality of life.

Include Huntaway Wild Venison Raw Dog Food in your dog’s bowl. Scroll down to purchase or email us at hello@huntaway.pet with any questions.

The adventure starts here!

Reading next

Three dogs outside by the mountains.
Huntaway Treats.