Raw Feeding for Vizslas: Fueling Your Energetic Companion with a Nutritious Diet

Vizsla close up outside.

Vizsla’s are known to be athletic, hard working, and dedicated dogs. They have close bonds with their humans, and are full of energy. From choosing the right type of food to creating a feeding schedule that fits their activity level, Huntaway could help you provide your furry friend with the fuel they need to thrive.

To support such an active lifestyle, high quality nutrition is an important part of ensuring your Vizsla has a long and happy life. A raw diet can be a great way to provide them with the proper nutrients and protein to sustain joint health and continue being active later in life. Huntaway offers bioavailable protein, fresh produce, and high quality vitamins & minerals to make sure your Vizsla has all of their nutritional needs met, every day.

Vizsla close up photo.

Why Huntaway is a great choice for your Vizsla

Pure Ingredients

Our recipe is a biologically appropriate mixture of 85% venison meat, offal and ground bone. The other 15% includes nutritious fruits and vegetables such as blueberries, seaweed, and parsley for healthy teeth. You can read more about our ingredients.

Additionally, venison is a novel protein. This is a variety of protein that has not dominated our food system for a long time (like beef, pork, chicken and turkey). Given that is is "novel" to your dog, their immune systems are less likely to react with allergy symptoms, so this is a great choice for dogs who experience itchiness, redness, or sensitive skin.

Huntaway raw dog food contains no grain, soy, wheat, corn, GMO’s, hormones or antibiotics.


Huntaway comes in 3 oz cubes, which makes it easy to portion out. When you receive an order, store the bags in your freezer and thaw over 12 hours in the fridge.

Additionally, we have subscriptions, so you can have orders delivered right to your door every 1-8 weeks. We have a variety of subscription sizes to fit your needs.

Environmentally Beneficial

The wild deer we use in our recipe is an invasive species in New Zealand. They disrupt the local environment and farm land, and currently do not have any natural predators, resulting in the population growing rapidly. By mindfully harvesting this species, and making sure no part of the animal goes to waste, there is a reduced amount of stress on the surrounding ecosystem. You can read more about our sustainable practices.

Vizsla playing with a stick in the water.

Switching to Raw Venison for your Vizsla

Huntaway can be added as a topper or whole meal for your dog. To transition, we recommend slowly introducing it over the course of four weeks. In terms of portion size, we recommend calculating 2-3% of your dogs body weight, which is how much they should eat per day, in ounces. Please note that this is a starting point and might need to be adjusted for different activity levels.

Before serving, thaw your portions in the fridge for 12 hours. Always be sure to handle with care, keep Huntaway separate from your other food, and make sure to wash any surfaces and dog bowls with soap and warm water after your dog is finished. Any food your dog hasn’t finished within 30 minutes should be discarded.

Vizsla with a carton of Huntaway frozen dog food and a bag of Huntaway wild raw venison dog food.

If you're thinking about introducing Huntaway to your Vizsla, scroll down to purchase or email us at with any questions.

The adventure starts here!

Reading next

Shiba Inu on the beach.
German Shepherd close up outside.